Friday, August 08, 2008

Guess what the Postman delivered today? #2

Lots and lots of Wizard magazines!
I got these badboys yesterday, and I've put them to work already. I got issues #4, 8, 16, 17, 20, 21, 26, 29, 39, 50 and 75 from a dealer in the UK for about $40 odd.
 Bart Sears WizardsI mostly got these magazines for Bart's Brute & Babe tutorials, which are featured in 16, 17, 20, 21, 26, 29 and 39, but there are plenty of other things in there relating to Bart. The first issue, #4, has an interview with Bart and several of Bart's illustrations for columns and departments, which are all in the shape of the Wizard mascot that Bart produced 10 different versions of. There are also plenty of advertisements featuring Bart's art, and of course the Wizard Top 10 Artists list, featuring Bart who seemed to hover around the #7 position for a long time.

Now I'm sure I can hear you ask 'Don't you already have all of this stuff?'
Well, the short answer is: Of course!
I have all of the B&B tutorials, have so for many years, but hindsight is a bitch, and I didn't hang onto all of the other stuff, like the articles that mention Bart's name, or the credits pages that have Bart listed, so...
This also gives me the chance to re-laminate the things I already have, now on the A4 sheets so they are uniform and just flat out pretty.
I managed to cut out a total of 74 pages with something or other to do with Bart, which will get the laminating treatment early next week. If I get a chance too, I'll list what appeared in each issue, for those interested parties, or is it just me...?

1 comment:

Kal said...

Hi Jay

I've been trying to track you down for awhile! I'm a huge Bart Sears fan, in fact, I'm probably his #2 fan! lol At times, I feel like me and you are the only two REAL fans left. Especially in these times where Sears' legacy and heyday are all but forgotten and downplayed.

I'm 28 and I've been a "Searsian" since his days on JLE. I was about 9 then. So it's great to see another collector, such as yourself, do it for the love of his ART and not for a buck. Sadly though, I'm usually the only one in a room full of comic fans that will unashamedly defend Sears' growth and experimentation stylistically. And that's a drag, because I wish I could share with others the happiness I get from his work.

It pains me to see the quantity of his work dwindle and read your words about his "retirement." As a top fan, his well being means a lot and I hope that if he DOES give up comics, its out of the happiness in the other areas of his life and not out of depression or defeat.

Anyways, I could be here all day! I'll save that for future convos if you respond to this. The main reason why I'm contacting you is for a variety of reasons. I'm doing a report on Bart for school and need help obtaining info on him. If you can help that would be great. Maybe if I can get an interview from either of you that would be perfect!

I have a lot more to discuss and ask so please if you can, email me at agentk_9@hotmail.com. Thanx Jay.

Kal